Tuesday, September 17, 2013

If a Writer Blogs in the Middle of the Internet, Will Anybody Read?

Why write?

It's a question I hear all the time. From students. From relatives. From myself. Why am I doing this?

The fact that I'm even putting these thoughts on "paper" (does the turn of phrase still count in the digital realm) supposes--perhaps vainly--that someone will read it. That they will care. And it's there that my students often have the most difficulty. I can't even blame them. Writing papers in sterilized settings for an audience of one...what impact can they have? I can have them construct an audience. I can have them twist their prose to match the expectations of this invisible force. But they always know. It's a facade as heavy and stifling as thick makeup, clogging the pores and smoothing the edges into something unnatural. Fake.

Of course, Walter Ong (1) might say that there's no real difference between my class's "pretend" audience and a "real" audience--at least so far as it pertains to written discourse. Writing this, I'm creating my readers in my head; I make assumptions about their interests, their purpose for coming here, and what tone will inevitably interest them or drive them away. And Ong's approach is certainly practical. Unless I'm writing for one person and one person alone, it's unlikely that my audience will fit into a nice, neat box (and even then, there are issues of identity and knowing and masks...but that is an altogether different topic). Yet, as easy as it is to say "it's all in our heads!" that doesn't feel right, either.

Lisa Ede and Andrea Lunsford (2) have an approach that is more my style. They talk about an interaction of reality and imagination--the intersection of the "real" audience and the audience I've created in my head. It's tied up in social perceptions and assumptions and communication. It's messy and complex and involves a whole lot of language, and that appeals to me. Ideas aren't neat. Life isn't black and white. Why should writing be?

So I write anyway, and I ask my students to write. I ask them to write for their "real" audience (me. Always me) while holding that imaginary audience in their heads. I ask them to think about the messy intersections of what matters and who it matters to and what it takes to communicate with those people. We talk about (or, I hope we talk about) how we are always responding to the world around us (3). We don't write in a vacuum. We don't even think in a vacuum. And, in those cases where our voice can't seem to find its place in the society we're presented with, we try to make ourselves heard. We navigate a confusing mess of societal pressures and expectations to claim something that (we hope) is utterly and uniquely "us" (4).

Why write?

Because I have to. Because I'm finding my voice, and the only way I can do that is by talking and listening to other people talk. Because I love language.Because I care. I care even when others aren't listening. I care because others aren't listening. And because I know of no better way to impact the world around me.

And maybe, just maybe, someone will hear.

1. Ong - The Writer's Audience is Always Fiction
2. Ede and Lunsford - Audience Addressed/Audience Invoked: The Role of Audience in Composition Theory and Pedagogy
3. Lefevre - Invention as a Social Act
4. Royster - When the First Voice You Hear is Not Your Own, Lanham - Where's the Action?

No comments:

Post a Comment